Saturday 16 August 2014

TAKE ME BACK TO MY INNOCENCE
I found myself in a public space earlier on today. The moment I sat down something caught my attention.
It was a Two Rand coin lying on the floor.
At the same time, something else caught my attention, it was a boy, four years old, sitting adjacent to me and had his eyes also fixed on the coin.
I asked him if the coin was his and he said no.
I also asked if he knew whose it was, he said he did not.
I tried to read the boy’s mind, but it seemed as though my psychological toolbox was not up to scratch for this particular scenario.
I just could not decipher the boy’s mind at that juncture.
Eventually, I picked up the coin and stretched my hand to give it to him.
The young boy shook his head, refusing to accept the coin.
I had to add some more money from my pocket but he still refused until his mother encouraged him to receive the money.
Overcome with anxiety, the young boy eventually surrendered his hands to accept the money.
I asked the boy what he would do with the money and he said, ‘I will buy a Stumbo (candy) Freezit (frozen lolly) and a toy’.
That then pacified my inquisitive mind as I automatically realised the boy actually knew the value of money and what it can do for him.
That prompted me to ask yet another question.
I asked the sweet boy why he didn’t pick up the coin from the floor and why he initially refused to accept it when I offered it to him.
His answer blew my mind.
“My mother taught me not to take what is not mine and not to accept gifts from strangers.”
When the boy, together with his mom walked away, my mind went back to ‘my days of innocence’ and I was left yearning to go back to those days.
Don’t we all yearn for those days?
Those days of innocence.
Take me back to those days when I had a pure heart.
Take me back to those days when I purely trusted, believed, and loved.
Take me back to those days when I would easily apologise if I wrong anyone.
Take me back to those days before I knew what a woman is, to me then, everyone was a mother or sister.
Take me back to those days when my heart and eyes were still virgin from the corruption of this world.
Take me back to those days when I would sit on my father’s lap and feel that I was complete.
Take me back to those days when I would run into the arms of my mother even after she would have chastised me.
Take me back to those days when I had not a single grain of bitterness or grudge towards anyone.
Take me back to those days when I would innocently pray every morning, every evening and before every meal.
Take me back to those days I had respect for everyone.
Take me back to those days when I was simple and palatable to others. Take me back to my innocence.
Take me back to where I belong. I
belong to innocence. Erase everything foreign from me.
Take me back to my innocence.

No comments:

Post a Comment